UofT not known outside Canada

Canadian Universities Forum (discussion group)


 
 
Subject: UofT not known outside Canada
I like how an idiot kid says U of T is not known outside of Canada and McGill is. So what if McGill more known outside of Canada?? This translates into NOTHING.

At the end of the day, what is more important is not even reputation, but research. Study the facts from Thomson.

Substance over symbolism.

BTW, if U of T wasn´t known outside of Canada, and is only a second or third rate university, why do INTERNATIONAL RANKINGS place it so high, and McGill lags so far behind??

I guess Newsweek and Shanghai Jiaotong rankings were all done by U.ofT alumni, eh?

Idiot.


[21-10-2006,01:39]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
Frankly, UofT is very well known in Asia.

It IS a fact.

[21-10-2006,01:45]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
UofT? Is that in Tazmania, Texas, or Tehran?
[21-10-2006,05:23]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
INTERNATIONAL RANKINGS: Mcgill #1 in THES
RESEARCH: McGill #1 in Research Infosource, named "Research University of the Year"
NEWSWEEK RANKING: 50% SJTU (high disparity in rankings between Mcgill uoft and ubc) +10% total library holdings, so results are biased towards SJTU and bigger universities. not really a NEW ranking.

BOTTOM LINE: no one cares about how much research you do, or what your ranking is. People know your university through reputation and prestige. McGill has quality, research AND reputation. UofT has NOTHING.

[21-10-2006,15:49]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
^ give me a break. Bit polemic there, no? Only a fool would say either UofT OR McGill doesn´t have a good reputation. McGill draws US students, UofT more international. Anglophones who want to study in a foreign country go to McGill, others will choose UofT. Among Canadians, which school is considered better depends on where you live. Don´t pretend McGill is some kind of Xanadu.
[21-10-2006,16:30]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
McGill? Spinoff of McDonald?
[21-10-2006,16:43]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
"McGill draws US students, UofT more international"

Quit making things up! UofT troll has no credibility.

Fact #1: McGill draws the most non north american students than any other university in Cnada at 19% for undergrad and 25% for grad.

Fact # 2: Not only does McGill draw the most international students in Canada, McGill has one of the most international student bodies and faculty in all of North America!

[21-10-2006,22:27]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
LOL this guy is just killing me.

"Fact #1: McGill draws the most non north american students than any other university in Cnada at 19% for undergrad and 25% for grad."

My how things change. Once upon a time people slammed UofT for being too international, not it´s not international enough. So first question - are you talking "most" in numbers or percentage? UofT is 10% international of 60K undergrads, McGill is 19% of 22K. Second question - what percent of the remaining 81% at McGill are from the US? Those numbers are important if, you know, you want your argument to make sense.

[21-10-2006,23:00]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
There is an idiot post there about nobody cares about the amount of research you do.

Of course it matters. Where does reputation and prestige come from? It comes from RESEARCH. People know your university because of the research breakthroughs, and hence, people know about the university through the media, etc... (I am not talking about the rankings necessarily)

However, this "reputation" that you talk about is from the general populace.

Ask the people who really matter-those in academia, faculty from other universities-and they can tell you which university is actually doing cutting edge research.

It matters squat what people on the street think about McGill or U of T or UBC, ask faculty from other schools what they think.



[23-10-2006,02:25]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
What does that idiot mean when he says U of T has "NOTHING"?

Last time, I read, U of T has Canada´s largest research library, publishes the second most amount of research after Harvard, has the most number of faculty elected fellows to the Royal Society, has the largest endowment of any Canadian university, lead in Total Research Publications and Research Impact, etc...

Perhaps I can say that this is the education that McGill gives to this idiot..."NOTHING".

[23-10-2006,02:30]
Anonymous
(in reply to: UofT not known outside Canada)
Hahaha. Good one.
[23-10-2006,02:32]
Anonymous



Canadian Universities Forum at Canada City Web Site | Start Home Based Business in Canada | Canadian and International FLP Business