Spousal Open Work Permit query

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)

Subject: Spousal Open Work Permit query
  Hi All,

I was hoping to get some knowledgeable advice from the helpful users of this forum in my specific case.

I’m currently on my 2nd Work Permit - implied status (expired June 14th, 2009) and currently waiting for an extension of my Work Permit. In addition, I do have an application for Permanent Residency (Skilled Worker) in process since August 2006 (Medicals done – have an interview waiting to be scheduled).

I recently got married in April, 2009. My wife is currently residing abroad in Russia. I’ve added her to my PR application recently and was hoping to bring her to live with me here.

My wife previously applied for a Canadian visitor/tourist visa in February, 2009 and was denied for the generic reasons (Won’t return to her home country etc.) even though she’s had visa’s from countries such as the U.S., Japan, S.Korea etc. She’s currently working full-time back home and has assets such as an apartment, car, land etc.

I am aware that she can apply for an open work permit, once I get my Work Permit extension approved and then would be able to come here. I know that the open work permit is not 100% guaranteed and depends on various requirements and circumstances.

I am in process of preparing the application for the open work permit for her. I know of the required documents that are necessary as per the application process. But what I am looking for is additional documentation that I can provide that would help make her application strong and solid.

Would you’ll be able to suggest any additional documents and things I would need to do or provide, in order to make her application strong and hope that she will get her open work permit approved, as I really miss her dearly, being newly wed and in love.

Thanks for your help in advance.


Where? (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Outside Canada

Spouses and common-law partners of certain foreign workers and of certain foreign students who are currently studying or working under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
• Spouses of certain foreign students may obtain a work permit without having to obtain a labour market opinion from HRSDC. This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies.
• Eligibility criteria: To be allowed to work in this category, you must prove that you are the spouse of a student who holds a valid student permit and who is studying full time at a post-secondary institution—a university, a community college, a CEGEP, a technical or school of commercial studies—that is financed by the private or public sector and authorized by provincial law to award university degrees.

As she enters Canada
• you are temporary resident visa exempt and

Inside Canada
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:
• you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
• you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
• you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
• you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

Better chance once inside Canada (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Your spouse may receive an open work permit once she is lawfully admitted to Canada on a temporary resident visa to visit Canada.

Once she is in Canada, she may apply an open work permit by submitting Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, or Remain in Canada [IMM 1249]

Suggested documents:

Copies of application for permanent residence under Federal Skilled Worker
Medical pass letter.
Copies of valid work permit
A letter of employment
A notice of assessment
A bank statement showing the current balance
A proof of residence in Canada such as utility bills
A marriage certificate


The first pages of passport
A copy of valid temporary resident permit
A copy of assets declared.

(The CIC officer must be satisfied that 1) both of you maintain status in Canada, the marriage is bona fide and/or that you are financially responsible and that she will leave Canada at the end of her stay.)

For later on, further information (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)

If she lived in the U.S, Japan and Korea Republic for more than 6 months, she will be required to submitt her Police Clearance letters from each country have her permanent residence visa finalized.


Thanks for all the information! (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Thanks a lot for all the valuable information on the documentation required. There were some documents in the list that I hadn´t collected yet.

I am currently on a Work Permit and trying to get her on an Open Work Permit and looking for the best way to prove that she will leave Canada at the end of her OWP.

The following is the documentation that we’ve collected so far on her behalf inclusive. I will also provide additional documentation on my behalf to add to her application. Where required, the following documents were translated, certified and notarized.

*International Passport
*Internal Passport
*Birth Certificate
*Marriage Certificate
*Bank Certificate - Proof of funds (15K)
*Current Employment Letter
*Work Book (Employment experience)
*Certificate of Ownership/Deeds - Assets (Apartment, Land, Car)
*Letter of Intent
*Proof of relationship (Emails, Money Orders, Letters, Photos)

If you can suggest of other documents that I could provide or ways to make this application strong, it would be much appreciated.

Work experience documents (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Work experience documents:

• All past and current employment appointment, recommendation and termination letters.
• Detailed job description for each of your jobs in the past 10 years. (Please check for better wordings at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/OccupationIndex.aspx)
• A letter from your current employer that gives the duration of employment and a detailed description of your responsibility and the company.
• Bank current account statement for the business for the last one year.
• Letters of support from friends
• Offers of support or employment

Education documents:

• College or university diploma, degrees or certificate
• Vocational, trade training or apprenticeship certificate.
• Professional practices licenses,
• English or French language training certificate

A good cover letter (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
July 1st ,2009
Citizenship and Immigration -
Visitor Case Processing Centre
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 303
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1W1

Attention: Temporary Resident Permit Case officer

Dear Madame or sir:
Re: DOE Jane- Client ID 1234-5678 Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada

These submissions are made on behalf of Jane Doe, my spouse with respect to her Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada. My spouse was admitted to Canada at Toronto Pearson Airport on XXX, 2009 and received an extension of stay until xxx, 2009.

Enclosed you will find the following documents:

1. Application to change (Numbering)
4. Stamped receipt (5401)

The Facts (underline)

(you state that she is your wife and you are on a work permit and got married, and she will go back on such and such a date, etc)

The law(underline)

(you do research)

For all of the reasons presented and based on all of the evidence and materials before you, we respectfully request that you allow the application for change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada for Jane Doe.

Per: (signature)
John Doe

Thank you very much for your help (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Thank you 1234 for all your help, especially the sample Cover Letter for my Spouse. I will include that in her application

I called CIC and they mentioned that she could apply for a visitor visa first and then apply for a apply for an Open Work Permit once she´s in Canada.

The other option is that she could apply for an Open Work Permit at the Canadian embassy in her country and then once she get its, could then apply for a Visitor Visa for Canada.

I am wondering which approach could she take, which would would be beneficial or more effective.

Your thoughts?

What do you suggest would be good documents to show for Proof of relationship (Emails, Money Orders, Letters, Photos)?

Thanks again!

open work permit- federal skilled worker immigration (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Hai there,

I came to canada with my spouse and I am holding a open work permit.I got a full time permanent job in Edmonton with my open work permit.Now my employer is ready to support me in federal skilled worker immigration. but i have the open work permit. So in the eligibity of immigration, i needs to get HRSDC confirmation in my work permit. How should i start my process ?.How can i convert my open work permit to HRSDC confirmed work permit.

Requesting your valuable suggestions in this regards



Required documents for open work permit (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Hi all, I need some help regarding the required documents for me and my son. My wife is working in canada and we would like to follow and the fastest way we can think of is me applying for an open work permit.

So far I have checked the canadian immigration site but could find the necessary steps on how to apply.

Our situation: my wife is in canada, my son and i are in Singapore.


Mark F. Dabao
OPEN WORK PERMIT (in reply to: Spousal Open Work Permit query)
Good day ,Im inquiring about that am i eligible for an open work permit?
my wife is in Canada in Ontario shes working now there and she holds an open work permit .I wanted to join or follow her because Im still here in Philippines.CanIapply also for a permit

Hamilcar Tagle